Health libraryBack to health library
Tasty Tuesday by Anna Grindeland, RD, CD: A healthy Christmas recipe
Anna Grindeland, RD, CD
A Healthy Christmas Recipe:
1 cup of Joy
1 pinch of Peace
2 tsp. of Holiday Cheer
1 dash of Christmas treats, example recipe below
- Mix all ingredients together carefully for a wonderful Christmas week!
- Bake with a bit of magic
Chocolate Red Wine Cookies:
1/3 cup red wine
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
A heaping 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 dark chocolate bar (at least 70% cocoa)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine red wine and white sugar in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally on medium heat until it boils and thickens to a syrup consistency (8-10 minutes).
- When syrup has thickened (but not hardened!), remove from heat. Mix in butter and vanilla extract, and let cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking soda.
- When syrup mixture has cooled enough to touch, add to flour mixture and thoroughly combine.
- Break chocolate bar into 10-12 small pieces. Using a spoon of cookie scoop, roll about 1" balls of dough, press one piece of chocolate into the middle to flatten and carefully wrap the dough around the chocolate. Repeat with the rest of the dough (10-12 cookies).
- Flatten each cookie a bit. Bake on a non-stick pan or parchment paper for 8 minutes—and no longer! Cookies will turn hard and crunchy of overbaked.
The information found in the Health Library is for educational purposes only. It is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor does it represent the views or position of WHMC. Readers should always consult with their healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment, including for specific medical needs.