Health libraryBack to health library
Dine wisely with diabetes during the holidays
Diabetes: 5 tips for healthy holiday eating
1. Balance carbs. If you want to enjoy a sweet treat, cut back on other carbohydrates—such as potatoes or bread.
2. Stay steady. As much as possible, stick to your usual meal times to keep your blood sugar level stable.
3. Think small. No food is off-limits. Take a small serving of a holiday favorite, and savor each bite.
4. Keep eating. Don't skip a meal so you can indulge later on—it will be harder to manage your blood sugar if you do.
5. Rest up. A good night's sleep will help you resist chowing down on high-fat, high-sugar foods.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The information found in the Health Library is for educational purposes only. It is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor does it represent the views or position of WHMC. Readers should always consult with their healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment, including for specific medical needs.