Pictured from left to right:
Joan Hendrickson, RN MSU Manager, Karri Walde, RN Utilization Review,
Jenny Kendall, Social Worker, Susan Hunt, Social Worker
The Care Management Department consists of our Utilization Review (UR) Nurse and Social Workers. Care Management is an integral part of the multidisciplinary team caring for our patients and families.
Our UR nurse ensures that insurance guidelines are met for each patient’s medical condition and treatment required. Our social workers provide a listening ear and support throughout your hospital stay. Social workers address patient concerns, questions and make sure you have the right support to return home safely following your hospital stay.
What is Advance Care Planning?
Advance Care Planning is for all adults age 18 and older. It involves thinking and talking about your future health care decisions if you had a sudden event, like a serious car accident or illness, and could not make your own decisions. A person close to you would need to make medical decisions for you. This person is called a health care agent.
What is a health care agent?
A health care agent is the person you choose to make medical decisions for you if you cannot make them for yourself. You authorize this person to consult and make decisions with your health care providers about your care. The information below will assist you with designating a health care agent. You can choose two alternate health care agents.
Who should I select as my health care agent?
- Someone who is able to speak on your behalf about your goals, values and preferences and what “living well” or what a “good day” means to you.
- They need follow your written instructions even if they disagree.
- They are able to make decisions in difficult or stressful times.
- They are 18 or older, not our health care provider or an employee at your hospital or clinic (unless he/she is your spouse or adult child, brother, or sister or in certain states, a domestic partner).
WHMC Care Management oversees:
- Swing Bed Program for Medical and/or Rehabilitation and End of Life Care
- Volunteer Chaplain Program.
- Behavioral Health Referrals.
- Ethics Committee Consultations.
- Acknowledgement for Parentage for new parents.
- Community resources and referral services.
- Consultations for at risk patients in our community.
- Coordination of social services throughout the patient's stay.
- Advance Care Planning for Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care and Health Care Directives
- Advance Care Planning - click here for details and watch video below.
Honoring Choices Pacific Northwest video, is from Washington State Hospital Association.
Virtual Advance Care Planning: Best Practice for Crisis and Beyond. Learn about what is different when preparing for, having, and following up after a “virtual” ACP conversation. A one hour discussion among experienced program leaders.
Alternatives to Violence of the Palouse http://atvp.org/index.shtml
Friends of Hospice www.friendsofhospice.net
Honoring Choices Pacific Northwest, https://www.honoringchoicespnw.org/
Palouse area resources www.palouseresources.org
Special Mobility Services https://www.sms1.org/
Willow Center for Grieving Children www.willow-center.org
Whitman County Resources https://whitmanhelp.com/updated-weekly-last-update-10-17-20/community-services/